Today the internet/mobile business in India is a lot bigger than it was before. While internet businesses took a while to imitate their Western counterparts, mobile ventures have matured far quicker in India. A venture is declared successful only if it has scaled. Scalability can be in terms of reach and/or monetization.
Companies have different kinds of scalability problems - companies with good reach aren't monetizing enough, companies that are monetizing aren't able to increase their reach.
You may be planning to start a venture or may have one already. Question remains the same: How to scale? And WHAT should we scale? How to take THAT leap?
Internet Choices companies need to make, internet decision points - offline first or online first? Angle funding or VC funding? WAP or Mobile app etc?
So what are the challenges few of our panellists face when it comes to scalability & how did they address it?
Summarizing main points of what I will touch on
- Define scale in terms of reach and monetization
- Talk about various choices one needs to make (metro or tier2, internet or mobile etc)
- Things that will help in penetration: 3G, Wireless broadband, mobile internet & late rocking entrant ‘tablets'
- For ecom sites: Should they focus on reach or monetization initially?
- Identify what you want, what are the hurdles to scale in that route and you will find the solution.
- Once few players share their numbers with me (registered, unique etc), we can talk about India having "N" unique users and what percentage are doing ecom
Summarizing issues which will be taken up with the panel
- Introduction of the panellists by moderator, highlight their speciality
- Intro by each panellists
- Each member to talk about their challenges and how they overcame it
- Any specific incident which they would like to share about scalability
- Each company should be identified with a specific challenger (e.g. for flipkart went for cash on delivery route, for snapdeal the penetration increase with marketing, for redbus increase in transaction etc)
- Each member to give their one takeaway point for the audience